Coconut Water, should I drink it?
Coconut water is all the rage at the moment and some of you guys are really taking this on board. I have a handful of clients whose hydration levels have increased as well as their energy!
Coconut water is the purest liquid second to water and it has lots of added benefits. The taste is somewhat to be desired (I like it!) and well worth trying. But be aware of sugary, fruit flavored alternatives as these products can defeat the object, you should always check the sugars and calorie quantities.
The Benefits of Coconut Water:
- Coconut water is 94% water and fairly low in calories. Its a good source of vit B and potassium. Coconut water contains electrolytes, various plant hormones, enzymes, and amino acids. Some substances in coconut water could theoretically have antioxidant benefits in the body.
- Scientific studies of coconut water have been limited. One study suggested that drinking coconut water might be associated with a lower rate of heart attacks. Another small study found that coconut water significantly lowered systolic blood pressure in 71% of people with hypertension.
- Coconut water has been used as a way to rehydrate after exercise or illness, it has even been used as an emergency substitute for IV solutions.
However, for now, there is no scientific evidence that coconut water offers clear health benefits, so good to practice but don’t bet your house on it.
So what are the benefits from drinking coconut water?
- We are talking about the coconut water, not coconut milk that is produced from the meat of the coconut that is used for cooking. Coconut milk is high in sodium and this would be helpful choice for people who need to reduce their salt intake.
- The liquid / water is what we are looking at and it is always worth check with a doctor before you begin using coconut water as a treatment if you have any health conditions, because remember currently there is no scientific evidence that coconut water offers clear health benefits
What we do know!
- Prevents dehydration
- Refuels and rehydrates – coconut water maintains the body’s fluid levels and its potassium content helps maintain water pressure within cells and blood.
- Fuel for brain and muscles
- Due to its electrolyte content, coconut water improves nervous system functioning and nerve transmission.
- Prevents cramps and spasms in the muscles.
- Heart and kidney healthy.
- Reduces the risk of hypertension and strokes and helps prevent or resolve kidney stones.
- Contains compounds (cytokinins) that protect cells from aging and cancer.
- Digestive Aid
- Improves digestion and metabolism via bioactive enzymes. Aids absorption of food and efficacy of drugs due to its electrolytic effect. Soothes intestinal pain/spasm.
- Supports immune function
- Its Lauric acid content is anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral. It boosts the immune system in fighting infection whilst helping to eradicate intestinal worms and candida.
So check it out and remembers stay away from the tropical combination stuff as this will introduce a lot of sugars!
Go for a 2-3 week trial and see how your feel! And tell us all about it on Facebook or twitter